Monday, January 31, 2011

Yeee Haawww! It tastes (and looks) like chicken!!

I'm so excited about this recipe I could scream!!! Actually, I think I did ;)

I decided sometime last week that I wanted to make my own seitan, I just needed to get some Vital Wheat Gluten Flour. Picked some up at Whole Foods, and scoured the internet for some recipes. I had seen one at ThePPK, but I kept poking and poking. Finally found one that I wanted to try here. I used her Chicken-style Seitan recipe and used this for frying and gravy.

I LOVE and I mean LOVE a good Country Fried Steak (this MUST be said with a strong Southern Drawl). Could there be anything worse out there to eat? Prolly not. Making the seitan cutlets was definitely a new experience for me. It was so stretchy and bouncy (no, I didn't bounce it off the floors or the walls, but it had that flubber-type texture) and well, just weird. I managed to get it into a shape that resembled a tenderized piece of chicken boob.

I used Panko bread crumbs for coating and frying. Turned out SUPER crispy, just the way I like it. I followed the gravy exactly as written EXCEPT, I used 1 C of soy milk and 1/2 C of the seitan broth. The broth added a TON of flavor. Next time I'll add a bunch of pepper as it could have been a little more spicy and the kids used ketchup.


See that? I even needed to use a steak knife!!! The consistency was SPOT ON!! Oh! And the mashed potatoes were Whole Foods brand instant and I used vanilla soy milk, not a single person complained or could tell the difference (not even Kid 2, the mashed potato connoisseur)!   


How about that? Do you see that? Only 1 halfsies, given by Kid 1. Everyone else really enjoyed it. Kid 4 had seconds of the "meat". I'm so happy to have found a really bad for you good recipe :D I love really bad food! And now that it's healthy, well, I'm in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment