Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Shhtir Fry and "Chikn" Scallopini

I've been quite the blog slacker lately, and for that, I apologize. Yesterday I cruised into Whole Grain Fresh Market in Westmont for the first time, WOW! What a great find! I really wish I could read Chinese, as I'm sure I would've left with a few more bags. Found some great noodles, produce, interesting tofus, sauces, crackers, and vege shreds (I really wish they came with instructions, I'm assuming you reconstitute like TVP). Soooo, what did we have for dinner last night? Shhhhtir fry, baby!!



I used rice noodles, straw mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms, baby corn, asparagus, and snow peas. I also minced and browned some tempeh so nobody would know it was there, I believe it worked as I don't think The Dad knew. Sadly, I had forgotten all about the gorgeous bok choy I purchased at Whole Grain. I mildly flavored it with a Vegetarian Oyster Mushroom sauce. YUM! The Dad and I enjoyed it, while the kids, just so-so. Kid 3 really really didn't like it. Kids 1 & 2 ate it but weren't thrilled. Kid 4 was off on a playdate. 

In my travels yesterday, I also popped into my Whole Foods and picked up some Chik'n Scallopini. Without really reading the package, I kinda thought it was an all in one kind of thing. Nope. Just the Chik'n cutlets. They gave you "meal tips" on the back and I followed the first one that called for wine, CAPERS (hello!?!?! My favorite little burst of flavor!), and butter. I also added about 2 cups of fresh spinach to the pasta at the end of cooking. YUM YUM YUM YUM is all I can say! I used 2 cups of white wine, about 3 tablespoons of butter, 1.5 tablespoons of lemon juice, and more capers than you can shake a stick at. Really, this was amazing. Amazing! I've been very impressed with the Gardein products, really, I can barely tell that it isn't real meat. 



The Dad and myself loved it. I mean really really loved it. Kid 1 did not love it, but ate all of it and gave a thumbs up. Kid 2 was halfsies as he wasn't thrilled with the Gardein. Kid 3 LOVED the Gardein and tolerated the pasta. Kid 4 wanted nothing to do with any of it. 

Today, I shuffled over to Trader Joe's and found this great little product called, Oh! That's right! Dairy-free MOCHI!!! It's their own brand and IT'S. TO. DIE. FOR. Luckily for MamaMango and The Dad, the kids don't like them. Muuuaaahhhaaahahahahah!!! I had never even heard of Mochi before today and couldn't resist the fun looking product for only $2.99 for 6 (when it comes to desserts, 6 is the magic number). It came in 3 different flavors, Mango, Chocolate, and Coconut. SOOOO FUN!! I only wish the designs were as prominent in real life as they were on the packaging. 






No comments:

Post a Comment